Who said eating healthy can’t also be hearty? This schnitzel proves the naysayers wrong. It’s delicious, filling and surprisingly simple to whip together.
- 4 organic chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded thin or 4-6 chicken cutlets (if you can find them already cut thin like that)
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 egg for dipping chicken
- 4-6 eggs for topping chicken (one egg for every piece of chicken)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided, plus wedges for serving
- 4-5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, organic butter, or grapeseed oil
- 4 anchovy fillets
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place a baking sheet in oven to keep cooked cutlets warm.
- Butterfly the chicken breast pieces by cutting across the breast longways but not all the way through, open the meat up like a book and set into a plastic food storage bag or 2 pieces waxed paper.
- Gently pound out each piece into very thin, large cutlets. Put cutlets on a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Scramble one egg in a bowl and add almond flour, paprika, lemon zest, sea salt and pepper to taste in another bowl.
- Add enough oil to coat the bottom of a large non-toxic skillet over medium to medium-high heat along with the anchovies. They will melt down into the olive oil and infuse the flavor into the chicken.
- Dip the chicken in the egg and then the almond flour mixture.
- Place 2-3 of the breasts in the pan (do not overcrowd) and cook two to three minutes on each side. Transfer to oven to keep warm.
- Add a bit more oil to the pan (if necessary), and repeat with the remaining breasts.Squeeze lemon juice generously over each piece
- While cutlets are in oven heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add 4 eggs, break the yolks for "over hard" eggs and fry to desired doneness, season with salt and pepper. Repeat with any remaining eggs (You will want one per breast).
- As the eggs are done, place one on each piece of chicken and keep warm until all eggs are done. Sprinkle with more paprika.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter (serve over romaine lettuce if desired).
- Top with anchovy fillets (or capers if you prefer).